AUSTRALIA’S SHELLEY TAYLOR-SMITH WINS ANNUAL MANHATTAN ISLAND MARATHON SWIM FOR RECORD 5TH TIME
Posted online: Saturday, 11 July 1998
|NEW YORK, N.Y., July 11, 1998 - Shelley Taylor-Smith, a 36-year-old motivational speaker from Sydney, Australia, today won the 17th annual Manhattan Island Marathon Swim (MIMS). Her time for the 28.5 mile course was seven hours, 18 minutes, seven seconds (7:18:07). It was the fifth time she has won the swim. She received the Gallagher Cup, named for MIMS founder Drury Gallagher, for winning the race. |
"I was very pleased with my swim," said Taylor-Smith. "The water was very clean. The Current was swift and I really enjoyed it. It's a great way to see New York."
She and 21 other individual swimmers, along with five six-person relay teams, began the race at Gangway 6 on the Hudson River side of Battery Park in lower Manhattan. They took a counterclockwise, Tide-assisted route around Manhattan, going up the East River, through the Harlem River to the northern tip of Manhattan, and down the Hudson River back to Battery Park.
In second place was Jay Benner, 33, a swimming coach from Tacoma, Washington, with a time of 7:19:40. Behind him in third place was Chris Derks, 28, of Miami, Florida, with a time of 7:24:02. Fourth place belonged to Sarah Rice, 17, of Miami Shores, Florida with a time of 7:38:40.
First among the relay teams was the Badger Team Swim Club, of New York City, with a time of 7:17:57.
The official results of the swim are as follows:
1. Shelley Taylor-Smith 36 Australia 7:18:07
2. Jay Benner 33 Tacoma, WA 7:19:40
3. Chris Derks 28 Miami, FL 7:24:02
4. Sarah Rice 17 Miami Shores, FL 7:38:40
5. Kris Rutford 38 Lincoln, NE 7:47:31
6. Igor De souza 34 Brazil 7:48:29
7. Michael Ross 50 New York, NY 8:18:48
8. Duncan Adamson 28 Stamford, CT 8:22:00
9. Kieran Fitzgerald 35 Dublin, Ireland 8:26:40
10. Toshio Ogawa 43 Japan 8:28:16
11. Oliver Turner 27 Ft. Collins, CO 8:35:25
12. Scott Coleman 44 Boca Raton, FL 8:38:02
13. Jamie Tout 44 Austin TX 8:39:14
14. Meryem Tangoren 26 NY, NY 8:43:49
15. Carol Sing 56 El Cajon, CA 8:46:06
16. Larry Weiss 50 Lubbock, TX 8:51:31
17. Missie Hersey 50 Richmond, VA 8:52:57
18. Buz Brenton 63 Des Moines, IA 8:54:27
19. Fausta Moreno 40 Mexico 8:56:09
20. Peter Urrea 58 San Francisco, CA 9:00:48
21. Benn Kramer 41 Canada 9:22:57
1. Badger Swim Club New York City 7:17:57
2. Berkley Aquatics New Jersey 7:23:10
3 Mamas and Papas New York City 7:50:35
4. Bonita Bonitos New York City 7:53:30
5. Team Chiropractic New Jersey 8:20:35
The swim is sponsored by the Manhattan Island Foundation (MIF) in conjunction with Hudson River Park Conservancy, Hudson River Clearwater, Inc., the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation and corporate sponsor D'Agostino Supermarkets.
It is organized by MIF, which each year makes a donation to help New York City neighborhoods establish and expand swimming programs for children, called the Learn to Swim program, and to rehabilitate swimming pools. More than $50,000 has been donated so far.
More information about MIMS and MIF, including history, past results, and this year's race, can be found at www.nycswim.org.